** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR VETERINARY EMERGENCY SERVICES **
As a member of our veterinary hospital, we are reaching out to inform you of an upcoming change to your emergency services.
We understand it is stressful and scary for pet owners and producers to have a veterinary emergency when the practice is closed. In our dedication to you, the Hanover Veterinary Hospital and Walkerton-Hanover Veterinary Clinic will continue to provide emergency services to our registered clients. Emergency coverage continues to be shared between our practices and the Mildmay Veterinary Clinic.
To improve access to veterinary care for all patients, we have teamed up with a Canadian veterinarian-led company named Smart.Vet. Smart.Vet allows you access to Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVTs) over the phone whenever our hospital is not open to take your call. These RVTs can speak with you to ascertain the level of care that you require and will facilitate the best options for your pet.
Options may include:
- Transferring all large animal emergencies to the large animal veterinarian on call.
- Transferring all urgent/life-threatening small animal emergencies to the small animal veterinarian for physical care at our hospital.
- Talking through the details of your concern with the RVT to either have you contact us the next day or scheduling a virtual telemedicine appointment with one of their licensed Ontario-based veterinarians.
There is no cost for this initial call, or any assistance provided by the RVTs.
If it is deemed necessary to book you with a virtual veterinarian for a telemedicine consultation, there is a cost of $115 plus HST (+an additional $30 service fee for prescribing medication).
In the case of an emergency, please contact us by way of our regular clinic phone number.
Hanover Veterinary Hospital 519-364-6772
Walkerton-Hanover Veterinary Clinic 519-881-2090
All emergencies are required to be triaged like the human health care system.
*** LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE ***
- For LARGE ANIMAL listen to the recording and SELECT 3 to be directed to an RVT who will take your details and immediately contact the large animal veterinarian on call.
- For SMALL ANIMAL listen to the recording to be guided through your options.
- If your pet is suffering from a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate attention, the RVT will contact the small animal veterinarian on call and provide you with further instructions.
- If the RVT feels your pet’s condition is stable and can be managed without an in-person emergency visit, they will assist you in setting up a virtual appointment with an Ontario based veterinarian.
- The RVT will aid you in setting up an account that meets the legal requirements for providing veterinary medicine in Ontario. Payment is accepted in the form of a Credit Card, Debit Card, or e-transfer. This payment is required to proceed to a telemedicine veterinary consultation. This step may take several minutes.
- You will now be in the scheduled queue for your virtual consultation. We understand this wait can be stressful. It is important to note that if your pet experiences a new symptom or changes in condition during this wait, you can contact the RVT and your place in the queue may be reassessed. Otherwise, please be patient and know that if your pet is waiting for a consultation that is a good thing! It means their emergency has not been deemed life threatening.
- During your virtual consultation, the veterinarian will further assess your pet. This may mean requesting a video or photos to aid in the process. The veterinarian may be able to prescribe certain medications for your pet which would allow you to avoid the unnecessary cost and for an in person visit. Your pet’s medical records and treatment will be sent to the hospital the next business day so we can proceed with any follow up for further treatment required.
- At the end of your consultation, If the virtual veterinarian believes your pet should be seen in clinic, they will arrange a transfer to the facility most suitable to your pet’s expected level of care and provide you with further instructions. When a transfer is facilitated, Smart.Vet will provide a reduced consultation fee.
If you do not wish to book a virtual telemedicine you can wait to contact our hospital the next day to set up an appointment during normal office hours.
We understand this process is different than the way you have previously accessed our emergency services. As the demand for veterinary service increases, these changes allow us to continue to provide care for our patients in the most effective and timely manner for pets facing critical emergencies.
If you have any questions or concerns about our emergency coverage, please contact the clinic.